Friday, September 19, 2014

“She is just, so, pretty.” I have heard some women say that they die inside every time they hear someone call their daughter pretty. I must be missing the point; I do that a lot, because I don’t get it.


All of my friends are pretty. Not because they grace magazine covers or win pageants. Not because they are envied by all other women at Pilates. Not even because they can sing to animals and make them respond back. My friends are pretty because of the way I feel when I see them. The way my heart becomes a little lighter and my eyes grow a little wider with the knowledge this person is in my life and is good to me.


My daughter is pretty. It runs in my family. My mother, my sisters… all pretty. I am even pretty because I can see in their eyes that the same beautiful way I feel about them, they feel about me, too.  



Pretty does not negate the other fine, or not so fine, qualities of the women in my life.  Intelligent, creative, bossy, sweet, controlling, loud, shy, vain, giving…  They are a part of every human. My hope is that my daughter will have a heavy heaping of whatever makes her happy and a good person. And of course, I hope that she will always remain pretty. 


No comments:

Post a Comment